There’s no doubt about it, your wedding day is likely to be one of the best days of your life. All of your favourite people celebrating you and your love! But bringing everything together for your special day is a big job, with lots of elements to think about.
Over the past 15 years of Alastair Currie Events, we have helped plan many weddings and always used checklists to ensure nothing is forgotten about. We’ve compiled the key things to tick off in this Wedding Planning Checklist, with suggested timings to help you guarantee everything runs smoothly.
Complete Wedding Checklist
ASAP (As Soon As Proposed)
- Draw up the budget – this is critical and will determine the venue choices, guest numbers and level of design and detail you can afford.
- Choose your guest list – having a rough idea of numbers is imperative when looking at venues.
- Pick a venue – most venues can have huge waiting lists, get this booked ASAP or choose a marquee wedding for ultimate flexibility.
We’ve written this blog post to help you choose!
- Have an engagement party – absolutely optional, but always a great way to announce the date and begin celebrations.
12 Months Until Wedding
- Pop the question… to your bridesmaids and groomsmen!
- Book key suppliers – you don’t want to risk them being unavailable. This includes:
- Hair and make up
- Send out your save the dates – essential if you want to ensure everyone can attend.
- Start investigating the entertainment – would you like a DJ or band, a comedian or a magician?
8-10 Months Until Wedding
- Book the honeymoon – flights have been released and now is the time to book the most important holiday of your lives.
- Dress hunting – many bespoke dresses require a minimum of 6 months, so get in early to avoid any last-minute rush charges.
- Décor – having decided the tone/theme, contact your venue co-ordinator and start the planning, research and buying process.
- Book the entertainment.
- Cake – time to design and order your yummy cake, don’t be afraid to ask for a little taster!
- Accommodation – ensure all accommodation for out of town guests is on reserve, bulk booking can help save costs
6 – 8 Months Until Wedding
- Choose bridesmaids’ dresses – multiple bridesmaids can require multiple designs and finding them can be deceptively time-consuming.
- Invitations – time to finalise the design and order these.
4-6 Months Until Wedding
- Groomsmen – time to find the all-important suits.
- Legalities — depending on the location of your ceremony, some churches can require 3 months to process requests.
- Organise wedding transport – ensure you and your party arrive in comfort and on time throughout the day.
- Hair and makeup trial – they’ve already secured the date but just make sure you’re getting exactly the look you want.
- Menu tasting – a huge part of the day, this one can’t be left to chance. Read our blog post about different meal ideas to get inspiration!
2-3 Months Until Wedding
- Send invitations to guests – You may need longer if you have an international guest list. Put together a spreadsheet for all the RSVP’s and dietary information!
- Attend dress fittings.
- Choose and order wedding rings.
- Accessories – purchase or create all those details that will help truly personalise your day, including any gifts you may wish to give to your families.
4 Weeks Until Wedding
- Chase up the RSVP list – contact any late responses and start plotting your table plan.
- Obtain your marriage license and official documentation – especially if you’re changing your name.
- Confirm any last minutes adjustments with suppliers.
- Don’t forget to break in your wedding shoes!
2 Weeks Until Wedding
- Give venue/caterer final guest head count.
- Finalise the table plan and place cards.
1 Week Until Wedding
- Call all wedding suppliers to confirm arrangements – create a timetable for day including emergency contact numbers.
- Groom and Groomsmen suits – Go for final fitting and pick up your formalwear.
- Preening and prep – Get manicure, massage, waxing & all your pampering treatments.
- Pack your bags – whether an overnight stay or two weeks away.
The Day Before the Wedding
- Drop off place cards, table cards, menus, favours, table plan to venue/wedding coordinator
- Get a good night’s rest!
We’d always advise having a co-ordinator with you throughout so you can focus on your primary job – enjoying your wedding! If you would like the planning elements of this checklist to be taken care of, we are here to help you. We can help you to find the right venue, identify the most appropriate suppliers, and entirely coordinate your special day.
No matter how big or small, our creative and personal approach ensures your wedding is seamlessly managed from start to finish. That way you can simply enjoy yourselves. Get in touch to discuss how we can help you make your wedding dreams a reality.